Thursday, October 25, 2007

Connections


Life inspires art. When in an artistic slump, my best advice is look around you for some handy inspiration. After the wicked tulips arrangement for my table, I remembered the wonderful crow, pumpkin, and sunflower candlesticks, so out they came. Staring at them over breakfast, I decided they would make cool beads. So I made some. I call them Harvest Totems.

When I didn't have much time for glass this week, I decided to act upon an article I had read in the latest issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors about stitched paintings. The article was by Kelli Perkins, so I had to go check out her blog, Ephemeral Alchemy . Then I got some small watercolor paper trimmings out and a set of black markers. The first try was sitting in front of this blog, sketching from the palm silhouette photo from Hawaii. I took artistic license with the watercolors.


No stitching yet, but it was so fun that I had to do another. This time I tried the rose carved pumpkin also shown here in a recent post, and blended it with the Harvest Totem bead concept to add a crow perched on top. I had given no thought to the background before diving in, so that took a little brainstorming. Once I had the idea of the full moon, I had to include the Japanese rabbit in the moon. This thing is just snowballing. Now, what can I do next????? Maybe I'd better try the stitching part.